Monday, August 31, 2009

Farmer's Markets

If you're new to Louisville, which presumably you are, perhaps your last place of residence didn't have farmer's markets. Or at least not like this. Kentucky has a wealth of great agriculture, and it shows at all the farmer's markets here.

Because of my location, I have adopted the Bardstown Road farmer's market as my own. It's in a church parking lot a few blocks from where I
live which is extremely convenient. Now I've been to a few farmer's markets in my day, but this is by far one of the, if not the best I've ever been to. There is a great variety of stalls including fruits & vegetables (of course), fresh buffalo meat, grass-fed beef, fresh eggs, baked goods, flowers, and more. There are also a few places that serve breakfast. Most recently I tried the stand that has fresh apple dumplings, tomato pie and cinnamon rolls, all of which were awesome. There is another stall that does fresh veggie omelets. The quality of food you get at this market (and any in the city I'm sure) is above and beyond what you will buy anywhere, including Whole Foods, and is certainly cheaper than that store. Plus, you're helping the local economy which is very important in my book.

If you want something fun to do on the weekend by yourself or with your family, check out a farmer's market. For more info on farmer's markets of Louisville and to find your closest location, check out their blog or view them all on a map.

*Picture above is a recent meal I made using fresh golden beets ($3 for a bunch) and fingerling sweet potatoes ($1.50/pint) from the farmer's market on Bardstown Road. The salmon was not purchased there.

No comments:

Post a Comment